Fellows Program Resources
Fellows Programs Open to all BMGT Majors
Fellows Program for BMGT Freshmen
Business Analytics Fellows
Students in the Business Analytics Fellows Program will:
- Develop awareness of the descriptive, predictive and prescriptive perspectives comprising Business Analytics. They will learn how to analyze and evaluate what has happened in the past in order to predict future outcomes and prescribe an optimal course of action, thus allowing an organization to gain a competitive advantage.
- Develop expertise in applying Business Analytics to aproblem by viewing it as quantifiable and thus solvable.
- Develop proficiency in using leading software packages.
- Increase communication skills by effectively presenting results from analysis of real-lifescenarios.
- Provide outstanding recruiting opportunities for sponsoring firms and a recruiting edge to students with an understanding of general business and strong Business Analytics skills.
Dr. Frank Alt, Associate Professor, DOIT Department, is the faculty champion for this program.
Curriculum – 1 year program
- BMGT 430 (Linear Statistical Models in Business) Fall
- BMGT 435(Business Process Simulation) Fall
- BMGT 4XX(Data Analytics) Spring
- Please Note: Either BMGT430 or 435 (but not both) may be completed prior to entering the program. So students entering this program must complete at least one of the required courses (BMGT430 or BMGT435) in the Fall semester (first semester in the Business Analytics Fellows Program). In addition, BMGT430 must be completed prior to taking BMGT4XX Data Analytics. Also, BMGT435 is only offered in the Fall semester.
BA Fellows are required to participate in:
- Smith-IBM Joint Analytics Workshop – spring semester
and at least two of the following co-curricular events:
- DOIT Fellows Mentor Networking Night – fall
- OM night - fall
- Seminars by corporate speakers – to be determined
Fellows Application Eligibility
- BMGT majors
- Minimum: 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Grade of B+ or higher in BMGT230 or equivalent course
- Rising seniors and juniors may apply
- Cover letter showing your reason for applying to BA Fellows program and a description of your analytical ability
Fellows applications for the 2014-2015 school year are open January 2 - February 10, 2014 on the new Smith School Website.